Sunday, September 5, 2010

If We Were A Movie

Glancing over to the driver as he leans back, calm relaxed, I realize this is how it's suppose to feel. Everything is, finally, right. Cue corny music and sunset lighting.He eyes, a beautiful blue that has a sparkle that makes anyone feel free, catch mine. "What are you happy about?" It's a stupid question, but I can't bring myself to be mad about it.
"I feel...freed." A grin reaches those eyes and a laugh breaks out of him. It sounds...rusty, as though it was forgotten for a while. Then, the roof of the car's down, and I'm standing on the seat, screaming. A scream that also feels very right, also feels freeing. Finally, as my throat starts feeling sore from yelling, I plop down in my seat, laughing.
"Your hair's a mess." He can feel it too, the pure freedom. We never have to go back. Sure, we have no clue where we're going, but that's not the point. We're free. Fumbling over words, we try to sing to the radio. Laughter pushes itself free from its cage. How long has it been since we laughed? Surely not since Mom died. My mom.
Finally, we stop at the edge of a forest. The greens seem greener than anything I've ever seen. I take off, running through the trees and bushes and trying so hard to jump over fallen logs. He chases after me, laughing and shouting about how I'll get lost. There's a clearing the middle of the forest. Isn't there always? I stop here, letting him catch me, flinging his arms around my waist, laughing. Without meaning to, our mouths collide together. It's not great; neither of us had kissed before, but it was all we need. Pulling away, he rests his head on my forehead. When did he get taller? "We're free." Both of us scream it as loud as we can and then fall onto the soft, soft grass, laughing because our lives cannot get any better. Well, maybe if we had a place to stay. Getting up, we take the other's hand, and wonder over to a small creek flowing nearby. He lets go and takes off his shoes and socks. I do the same. My feet rest on the water with it brushing the bottoms while his dangled in the water.
"You know, if we were a movie, I think now I would ask you to marry me with some silly speal about how we've already been through everything together." I laugh. Us, a movie. "But we're too gross to be a movie and so I'm not going to ask you to marry me." He stands and I follow. Dashing through the forest, with me chasing him, it feels like a game of tag...until I realize how lost I really am.
"James?" I scream out. "This isn't funny, James!" The sun is drooping in the sky. A rustle comes behind me, but when I look, nothing. "James!! Just come out, please!" Tears, warm and salty, flood from my eyes, down my cheeks, down, down, down to the forest floor.
And then...the pleads won't come. Looking down, I see a knife, probably through my lung, and James, his blue eyes ice. "You're wondering why, Alexandria." His soft lips rest on my forehead. "Money...actual freedom. I can't tell you what I mean, you should be happy." He kisses me and begins slowly sliding off my dress. Protesting in anyway does not come to my mind. James...I've wanted James for the longest of times now. Finally, I have him and it feels...amazing. A smile graces his lips once again, a sharp pain in my chest, "If we were a movie, this couldn't happen, Alexandria."

No comments:

Post a Comment